Saturday, July 24, 2010

Toads, Beetles and Bats

When I started reading The Wednesday War,by Gary Schmidt, I expected to read about a teenage boy and his struggles with his teacher, classmates, and his family. And although it ultimately was, the real message in the book reaches down deeper than those superficial topics. Any writer that can weave Vietnam references, Shakespeare and rats together in one story and make it interesting and logical knows what he is doing, and Gary D. Schmidt did just that. At times I found myself angry at Holling's father; he really needs to rearrange his priorities. Other times, I was amused by the banter between Holling and his teacher, Ms. Baker - he never saw who she really is coming. While other times, I was getting caught up in the family and friendship dilemma. However, consistently I was amazed by Holling and the depth of his character, and I found myself routing for him and believing in him. Throughout the novel and until the very end, I was repeatedly reminded that we really need to give people a chance because like the ocean there is so much below the surface that you cannot initially see. And although things don't always go our way or work out as planned, there still are some happy endings. A Newbery Honor book, a Printz Honor book, and one you are sure to enjoy ..or toad, beetles, and bugs to you. :)

No comments:

My Blog List